This Japanese site has instructions and photos on making an origami paper pinwheel toy craft, great for summer or anytime.
- newspaper ad insert(or thin dowel or skewer)
- origami paper or colorful paper cut to a 6 inch square
- plastic drinking straw (a 3/4 inch piece and a 1 inch piece)
- a toothpick
- Roll the glossy newspaper ad insert into a thin stick and tape together. Or use a thin dowel or skewer.
- Tape the 1 inch straw piece to the top of the stick as shown in the picture.
- Insert a toothpick into the straw piece and tape one end so it doesn't come out. You will stick the pinwheel on the opposite side.
- For the pinwheel, fold the origami paper in half to make a triangle, unfold, and fold again the other way.
- Cut along all 4 fold lines, stopping about 1/2 inch from the center.
- Pull down every other corner to the center and glue in place. Make a hole in the middle with a pushpin and stick onto the toothpick.
- Make 2 holes through the middle of the 3/4 inch straw piece with a pushpin and stick onto the toothpick to keep the pinwheel in place.
- Put a piece of tape over the tip of the toothpick to keep the straw in place.
You have read this article Japanese crafts / origami / science / summer / toy with the title Origami Paper Pinwheel Toy Craft. You can bookmark this page URL http://joeseoulman.blogspot.com/2012/08/origami-paper-pinwheel-toy-craft.html. Thanks!